Elizabeth Studwell, Psy.D.
Monday 2PM – 8PM
Tuesday 10AM – 8PM
Wednesday 11AM to 8PM
Thursday 10AM- 8PM
Young Children (< 5), Children (6 – 12),
Tweens (11-13), Teens (14 – 18),
Client Types: Children, Adolescents, Adults, and Families
“I love what I do and am passionate about supporting children, families, and adults as they traverse the many challenges presented by life. Every individual is unique and deserve highly attuned treatment when life’s complexities present themselves.”
I am a licensed clinical psychologist specializing in working with children, adolescents, and families. My passion is working with children and young adults with their families. I have experience working in psychiatric hospitals, behavioral day schools, and mental health clinics. I am highly trained in working in the area of adoption and attachment. I have worked at an orphanage in Colombia counseling children and parents as they prepared for adoption. I have many years of experience helping parents and their teenage children connect and thrive. As a bilingual (English and Spanish) psychologist, I am qualified to perform neuropsychological assessments and have been trained in several modalities including psychodynamic psychotherapy, non-directive play therapy, trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy, attachment-based trauma-focused psychotherapy, and dyadic developmental psychotherapy.
– Dr. Elizabeth Studwell, Psy.D.
– Pre- and Post-Adoption Issues and Family Attachment Related Matters
– Adoption Country Visit, Search and Reunion Support
– Child and Adolescent Emotional Regulation, Parent Coaching, and Behavioral Support
– Life Transitions, Grief, and Loss
– Trauma, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
– Anxiety and Depressive Disorders in Children and Adult
– Development in Identity: Children, Adolescents, Adults,and Adoptive/ Transracial Families
– Gender Identity Issues and Exploration
M.A. and Psy.D. from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology in Clinical Psychology
as part of a specialized child and adolescent track with a neuroscience focus.
B.A. from Tulane University
with majors in Psychology, Philosophy, and Dance.
ADVANCED CLINICAL TRAINING
Level 1 Training in Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy
– Trainers: Daniel Hughes, Ph.D. and Courtney Rennicke, Ph.D.
– Training: A framework for therapy and parenting developmentally traumatized children
Level 2 Training in Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy
– Trainer: Daniel Hughes, Ph.D.
– Training: In-depth training on attachment focused family therapy specifically designed for children with past traumatic experiences and struggles with attachment, trust, and loss
Level 1 Training in Theraplay- The Theraplay Institute
– Trainer: Rand Coleman, PhD
– Training: Introductory Theraplay and Marschak Interaction Method Training
Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Certification- (TF-CBT)
– Completed a 10 hour, on-line training course for Trauma Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
– Awarded February 2011 by Daniel W. Smith, PhD from Medical University of South Carolina- National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center; provided 10 continuing education hours
13th Annual Young Child Expo and Conference
Director: Zusuzsanna Kiraly, PhD, Fordham University
CEO: Scott Mesh, PhD, Los Niños Services
Human Rights Campaign Foundation
– Trainers: R. McHaelen and N. Clark
– Training: Working with LGBTQ Foster/Adoptive Parents and Youth in Care
Partnering for Success: CBT+ and Trauma Focused-Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
– Trainers: Elissa Brown, PhD, St. John’s University
– Training: CBT+ and TF-CBT within Foster Care Agencies
Connecticut Trauma Focused-Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Conference
– Keynote speaker Judith A. Cohen, MD on TF-CBT for Youth with Complex Trauma
– Presenter: Carrie Epstein on Adoption and Implementation of TF-CBT: The Role of a Supervisor
– Presenter: Tim Kearney on Integrating Play Therapy Techniques into PRACTICE Components
The Westchester Center for the Study of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy
– Keynote speaker Andrew Solomon, Author of Far From the Tree
– Helped to facilitate event and discussion
Child Trauma Academy Teaching Series by Dr. Bruce Perry
– Completed a series of lectures on the Neurosequential Model of Trauma
– Weekly recorded teleconferences with visual representations and a case explanation
Advances in Neurogenomic Approaches to Developmental Disorders
– Technical Workshop-Neurogenomics and Neuroimaging of Developmental Disorders
– Integrating Medical and Behavioral approaches to Psychiatric Treatment
WORKSHOPS & PRESENTATIONS
Attachment and Identity in Interracial Adoption: How the Adoptee and Family are Impacted
Studwell, E. (2017). Researcher and Speaker at North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC) 2017 Conference, Atlanta, GA
Impact of Complex Trauma on Learning and the Young Child
Studwell, E (2016). Researcher and Speaker at 2016 Young Childhood Expo and Conference, New York, NY.
Adoption and Foster Families: Prevalence, Awareness, and Methods of Support
Studwell, E (2013). Researcher and Presenter at Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, New York
Paradigm Shift: Using Neuroimaging to Identify Pathology Related to Frontotemporal Abnormalities
Studwell, E (2012). Researcher and Presenter at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, IL.
– Studwell, E. (2012). Paradigm Shift: Using Neuroimaging to Identify Pathology Related to
Frontotemporal Abnormalities. PsychInfo, USA.
– Studwell, E., Hamilton, E., & Konopka, L. (2010). Correlations between psychometric and
neurometric tests: A qEEG study on pediatric patients. American Academy of Clinical
Neuroscience, Chicago Illinois.
– Hymer, J., Studwell, E., Poprawski, T., & Konopka, L. (2009). Biological Markers for Physically
Aggressive Children and Adolescents: Electrophysiological Study. International Symposium on
the Neurogenomics and Neuroimaging of Developmental Disorders, Dubrovnik Croatia.
– Studwell, E., Hymer, J., Poprawski, T., & Konopka, L. (2009). Focal Abnormalities in Pediatric
Biopolar Disorder: QEEG Study. International Symposium on the Neurogenomics and
Neuroimaging of Developmental Disorders, Dubrovnik Croatia.
Psychologist, New York State